Saturday, April 29, 2006

Any Models Out There?

The questions from last week's post are very good! Are there any missional disciple-making models? Are there any historical models?

I think the closest thing I've seen is the "T-Life" model that Bob Roberts talks about in his book Transformation: How Glocal Churches Transform Lives and the World. Most disciple-making models focus on "knowledge" instead of transformation. What I like about the "T-Life" model is that it is about a "culture" of transformation. It mobilizes people immediately into action. Most Western models sit people in classrooms or small groups for a season before they are "equipped" to do anything. Bob disagrees with that. He thinks people can be mobilized immediately. I agree. In fact, I think they can start being mobilized before they even cross the line of salvation.

Bob's is an action-based model. It reminds me of the old book by Douglas Hyde Dedication and Leadership. I think a vision for kingdom transformation and action-based disciple-making is key to making missional disciples. What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 12 disciples were certainly mobilized prior to their salvation as I read the gospels. They were put to work from a simple invitation to "come and see" and it was a while before Peter confessed that "you are the Christ." My only other thought, in agreeing with Bob Roberts is that the model of discipling by action requires a strong community and strong mentoring.

Anonymous said...

Glenn, your'e right on about what I believe about action based models and the creation of the culture. It's a return to a more narrative view of discipleship where I'm part of a story God is doing. I would have disagreed with you about people doing action before they cross the line of salvation, but I've come to see that in practice working as well. Furthermore, it makes for a far different kind of disciple as opposed to "now I'm saved teach me." What do you guys think? Bob Roberts

Anonymous said...

Glenn, your'e right on about what I believe about action based models and the creation of the culture. It's a return to a more narrative view of discipleship where I'm part of a story God is doing. I would have disagreed with you about people doing action before they cross the line of salvation, but I've come to see that in practice working as well. Furthermore, it makes for a far different kind of disciple as opposed to "now I'm saved teach me." What do you guys think? Bob Roberts

Anonymous said...

I am in complete agreement. My good friend Andy Williams taught that discipleship should be 75% doing something with what you already know, and 25% learning something new. That is how Jesus taught his disciples.

I have had the priveledge to work with Bob Roberts on several projects at the ends of the earth. I was so radically transformed as I experienced God as part of the process, not because of the right curriculum, that it became my full-time ministry.