Thursday, August 17, 2006

Missional Church and Mass Marketing

Church marketing is a debated topic. I have to confess that some of the church marketing I've seen has not been helpful in sharing the gospel with some of the skeptics that I talk to. In fact, they either ignore it, make fun of it, or are antagonistic toward it. My question is, can marketing be an effective tool of a missional church?

Eddie Gibbs in his book Church Next talks about how we need to make a shift from being market-driven to mission oriented. Does that mean we should not use marketing as a tool if we are missional? I think Eddie raises a good point stating "Our post-Christian, neopagan, pluralistic North American context presents crosscultural missionary challenges every bit as daunting as those we would face on any other continent."

He suggests that there are some faulty assumptions inherent in the marketing mentality of the North American church. He goes on to say "Most pastors and church leaders have no missiological training. Consequently they resort to marketing strategies in place of missionary insights in their attempts to reach out to a population that is becoming increasingly distanced from the church.

Eddie doesn't totally dismiss marketing; however, he suggests that most of our church marketing is rooted in a weak ecclesiology. He continues saying "marketing insights and tools will prove increasingly inadequate as North America moves still further into its postmodern, post-Christian and neopagan phase." What do you think?

3 comments:

Can Opener Boy said...

Hi Glenn,

I have not read Eddie's book, nor even heard of him -- but from what you included I would say I think Eddie is right.

Any incarnation of the Gospel must, of necessity, be inculturated. Whether I use slick marketing or some more organic (read: missional, relational, personal) form of proclamation and dissemination I must certainly know the culture in which I am immersed -- just as Jesus knew His own culture of the ancient near middle east.

Your recent post re: Good News (where you made some good points, btw) along with this one reminded me of another blog I frequent. The author recently posted an interview with Dallas Willard where he raises some questions about our assumption of what "The Gospel" really is.

I've heard it said: "You can't give away what you don't have."

I wonder about myself: do I have a firm grasp (in my heart, not just my head) on what the News really is, and why that News is so amazingly Good?

If I do, and that News is in the constant process of transforming me, only then will I have something real to give away to anyone. If I do not, no one will really want what I have anyway.

~ Keith

Glenn Smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Can Opener Boy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.