Sunday, August 02, 2009

A Biblical Perspective on Calling; A Practical Definition

What can we learn about "calling" from simply looking at the Scriptures? Here's what I see:
  1. OT – to summons; to request their attention; everyday sense “God called to Adam…”
  2. OT – to name; to speak into existence (“God called the light day…”)
  3. NT – synonymous with salvation (ecclesia = called out ones)
  4. NT – called to various roles, responsibilities, lifestyles, places, and positions (Rom 1:1,6,7; I Cor 1:1-2,9,24,26; I Cor 7:17,20-21,24; Gal 5:13; Eph 1:18; Col 3:15; 2 Th 2:13-14; I Tim 6:12; 2 Tim 1:8-9; Heb 5:4; I Pet 2:9,21; I Pet 3:9; I Pet 5:10)

From these passages I have come to see 2 dimensions of calling:

  1. Our PRIMARY calling is TO Jesus (into relationship & communion!)
  2. Our SECONDARY calling is FOR Jesus (to live out our primary calling in a specific direction, for which He has uniquely created us!)

In his book The Call, Os Guiness describes calling this way; Calling is the truth that God calls us to himself so decisively that everything we are, everything we do, and everything we have is invested with a special devotion and dynamism lived out as a response to his summons and his service.

With that said, here is a working definition that I like to use for calling: Calling is a summons from God; a strong inner pull toward a particular course of action and/or place of service.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being highest), how clear are you on your calling? If you're planting a church you need to be in the 9-10 range. If not, don't plant until you get clearer on your calling!

No comments: