Saturday, October 06, 2007

One Pure and Holy Passion

Possibly my favorite song these days is "One Pure and Holy Passion." It's my prayer almost everyday. You can find it on the One Day Live CD.

I've come to realize the nobody pursues God with passion, no one follows hard after God until they have become thoroughly convinced that there is absolutely nothing else in this world worth pursuing.

The song says "Give me one and pure and holy passion. Give me one magnificent obsession. Give me one glorious ambition for my life, to know and follow hard after You." I so much want this to be true about me. But I'm realizing that it will never be true as long as there is something in this world that I think is worth pursuing. There has to be nothing else in my mind or heart that is worth being ambitious for.

I pray that more than anything else, that the churches we start will produce this kind of disciple.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glenn... this seems to me the biggest challenge in our lives as leaders, and in the churches we seek to lead. Right now our church has been through a few years of clarifying our values, our mission. We got a little smaller. I want to grow at least back to the size we were, but even that just strikes me as irrelevant if we leaders are not disciples of singular passion, AND if we do not figure out how to disciple people differently than the American church has been doing.
--Fran Leeman

Anonymous said...

I love that song. You make a great point, Glenn. We focus on a lot of "exterior" things in discipleship - personally and church-wise. It really comes down to a central focus and passion - to single-mindedly know and follow God.

Thanks...